Online math resources can be used in the classroom to model for students how they might use resources independently.
Sample Website Integration Plan
Topic: Properties of Exponents
- Use the properties of exponents
- Use scientific notation
- Teach the properties of exponents (Note: You may want to use the Usable Algebra learning resources as a teaching tool or visual aid).
- Provide some guided practice in class.
- Assign homework that requires students to simplify algebraic expressions that include exponents.
- Part of the homework assignment should include a website evaluation of the exponent module, using the website evaluation form provided for the exponent module.
Other uses of the website module
You can use the website as a point of discussion for students after they have viewed and evaluated it. Types of questions include:
- What does the module teach you about exponents? Name the properties of exponents covered on the website. (Summarize / retell)
- Compare the way the website explains how to simplify the product of multiplying expressions to how your book explains it. How do they differ? Which is more effective? (Compare / contrast; encourages Metacognitive reflection)
- Find another way to express ‘simplify.’ How is ‘simplify’ different from the term ‘solve?’ (Use the vocabulary feature of the website. The hyperlinked e-text is a translational feature of the Usable Algebra learning resources website.)