The two-column note system is designed for recording information learned in class and revising that information after class.
- Start with legal ruled note paper.
- Write on the front only.
- Date each page.
- Leave lots of blank space.
- Write your notes on the right hand side of the note paper.
- Be sure to include lots of examples of the math concept you are learning.
- Draw visuals to help you remember what you learned.
- The left hand side of the paper is for main ideas and other comments you have when you revise your notes. This is a good place to note strategies you find helpful when you review your notes.
Revising 2-column Notes
- Compare your notes with a partner, if possible.
- Pull out main ideas and write them in the left hand column of your note paper.
- Fill in any gaps in information.
- Discuss differences in your notes, come to an agreement, and make any needed changes.
- Highlight information that is most critical.
- Add a graphic to illustrate key ideas.
- Note any questions you have to bring up in class.